Monday, February 18, 2013

New Years Eve/Day

For NYE this year we had family and friends over!  This year James parents were out of the country on a 2 week cruise to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary so we were minus two people that night!  My parents, Christina, Dock, Easton, Allison, Jo and the Sinks all came over to bring in the New Year!  Instead of watching the game this year (whoever was playing-ha) we sat around the table playing board games and eating lots of yummy food!  Christina, Dock, Easton, Randy, Lindsay and Aubrey stayed the night and sad to say the boys (minus Easton) were the only ones who made it to the ball drop!  The next morning we were all hanging around watching TV and fixing breakfast when 2013 started out with a bang!

James and I were standing in the kitchen fixing breakfast when all of a sudden a felt a gush “below”…you know that kind you want to feel at 40 weeks NOT 9.5 weeks!  I pulled my pant leg up and realized that gush was blood and I immediately ran to the bathroom.  From that moment on I really couldn’t tell you how the morning events went except I know James called the hospital to speak to the Dr on call for PtoW and I sat in the bathroom crying my eyes out knowing I was losing my sweet baby while Christina and Lindsay did everything manageable to keep me calm while being there for me the best way they knew how (I’m so thankful they were there with me)!  After we spoke to Dr. Stockstill he said I had two options..I could either stay at home and take it easy and be seen in the office the next day or I could go to the ER.  He said because I was only 9.5 weeks I would have to be seen by an ER doctor and not Labor&Delivery Triage.  James and I knew there was no way we could sit at home all day wondering what was going on so off to the hospital we went (with Lindsay with us).  Thankfully Christina and Dock were there and agreed to stay at our house to watch Addy.  I honestly don’t know what we would have done if they hadn’t been there! On the way to the hospital I called a good friend who had gone through a similar situation and she gave me a glimpse of hope and also prayed with me.  Once we got to the hospital we had to wait about 45 min-1 hour in the waiting room.  As you can imagine it was packed full of the flu and who knows what else!  We sat in the corner praying we wouldn’t catch anything.  While I was in the waiting room I texted Dr Curtis to see if there was anything I needed to tell the ER doctor specifically about me since I was an IVF patient but I never heard back from her.  Finally they called my name and I was taken back to a room but then it was probably another 30-45 min before the nurse came in!  She decided she was going to go ahead and put orders in for me to have blood work done etc. and told me a doctor would be in to see me soon.  At some point my mom showed up and Lindsay left and I got the great idea to call Dr. Williams (IVF doctor).  I was so glad I called him because he said all the right things I needed to hear.  He basically diagnosis me over the phone and said the ER dr would probably tell me I’m miscarrying or (I’m going to) and to not listen to them.  A little later the doctor came in after 2-2.5 hours of being at the hospital (gotta love the ER) and told me the game plan…exam and ultrasound.  Who doesn’t want an exam done in the ER by an ER doctor (that kind of exam all women hate)?  I can honestly say that exam was by far the worst thing I have EVER experienced and I’m sure the nurse thought I was the biggest baby ever!  I bawled my eyes out on the table and thankfully James was there to hold my hand and talk me through it!  He was my rock that day!  The ER doctor said my exam was perfect…cervix was closed tight!  Great news!!  About 45 minutes later they finally took me back for an ultrasound…the one thing I wanted all morning and afternoon and got at 3pm (5.5-6 hours after being in the ER).  The ultrasound tech was wonderful and very understanding.  She could tell how worried James and I were and wasted no time showing us that sweet heartbeat on the screen.  Both James and I lost it!  She took lots of pictures and then I was wheeled back to my room and eventually discharged.  Dr. Williams was right on with my diagnosis…Sub chorionic hematoma, basically a blood clot between my placenta and uterus.  Apparently they are pretty common but can cause a miscarriage.  I was told to follow up with my regular OB in the morning and to take it easy for the rest of the night. 

The next morning I called Dr. Curtis nurse who ended up talking to one of the Nurse Practioner’s because Dr. Curtis was out of the office for the day.  The N.P. said there was nothing they could do for me and to come in for my regular 12 week appointment in a month. She told me to take it easy and put me on pelvic rest meaning no lifting anything over 10lbs and very strict restrictions.  I then called Dr. Williams office to give them an update and was told that he wanted to see me the next week for an ultrasound because he wasn’t ok with me not being seen for a month.  I was relieved as I wasn’t ok waiting a month either!  A few hours later I received a call from Dr. Curtis.  She was just who I wanted to talk to and I was so glad she called!  She apologized for not calling/texting me back yesterday and said had she received it earlier she would have come in herself (oh how I wish that would have happened).  She completely agreed with Dr. Williams and said she wanted to see me next week and every week after until I reached 12 weeks (with weekly ultrasounds).  Huge relief for James and I!  Later that day James called the cruise line and was able to leave a message with his parents to give them an update on what was going on with me.  Tracy called later that night and they were able to talk and he could tell her the whole story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment