Friday, February 8, 2013

IVF part 2 ~ May 2012-first of Aug. 2012

Throughout the rest of the year and early 2012 baby fever was continuing to grow (with both James and myself) and we knew that time was getting close.  After a crazy spring, Disney and a month stay in the PICU we decided in May2012 to contact Dr. Williams’s office.  We spoke with one of the nurse coordinator’s Bonnie who we fell in love with right away.  She started the paper work process for the lab in New Jersey to create the genetic test/SMA probe to test each embryo to see if it had SMA or not.  That consisted of a mouth swab kit for James, Addy and myself along with blood work for James and myself.  We were told it would take the lab approx. 3 months to create the probe which was discouraging but we asked our family and friends to pray with us that it wouldn’t take that long!  6 weeks later we received a call that the probe was ready…prayers were answered!!! In July I had my TSH, thyroid levels checked which is typical lab work before IVF begins and because I had been diagnosed in March with early signs of hypothyroidism (my thyroid was underactive, basically meaning I had no metabolism and why I had been so tired lately).  Two days later (July 25) James and I traveled to Charlottesville to have preliminary testing done for both of us.  For this appointment I met with one of the other doctor’s, Dr. Smith who was just a great as Dr. Williams.  She performed an internal ultrasound to do a follicle count and basically called me fertile myrtle when she discovered I had 26 follicles on my right ovary and 16 on my left.  She also performed a trial embryo transfer which was basically an embryo transfer where they take the embryo and insert it into me but this time it wouldn’t have an embryo…duh!!  They like to do trial run’s to eliminate any surprises on the actual transfer day.  While all of these were going on James had to give his sample to check to make sure his swimmers were up to par! Haha.  After my testing we met back up together because I had to have a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) which is an x-ray test that checks the uterus and fallopian tubes to make sure there are no internal problems there…I passed!  The HSG was extremely painful and I hope I don’t ever have to have that again!!  One the way home I had a short breakdown because we had gotten such great news and it broke my heart that everything was great with me but we still had to do IVF. 

A few days later (August 1) I received a call from Dr. Curtis nurse, Stella who told me my thyroid levels were elevated so we contacted my regular physician (per Dr. Williams office) for me to get a referral to see an Endocrinologist to get my thyroid levels back in normal range and actually on the low side (per Dr. Williams request).  To make a really long story short my pcp doctor completely dropped the ball on getting me a referral to see an Endocrinologist and after I spoke with one of the front desk ladies at Endocrinology Associates and pleaded my case she felt sorry for me and was able to get me an appointment with Dr. .Bailey within a week and a half!  More prayers answered!!  James spoke with Bonnie (IVF nurse) and she said that Dr. Williams wanted to go ahead and double my thyroid medication to start fixing my levels.  She said for me to call back once I started my next cycle so I could start birth control with a hopeful egg retrieval date on mid-September…yay (I really wanted Sept retrieval so babies due date would be end of May)!  Before any patient starts IVF meds they like to put patients on birth control for 2 weeks to get their body ready and in sync.

On August 8 I had my thyroid levels checked again and my levels were perfect and ready to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment