I woke up pretty nervous! James, my mom and I left for Charlottesville around 10:30am and I was anxiously waiting for a phone call from Dr. Thomas with the PGD results. Around 11am we received a call from Reprogenetics saying they had never received the fax with our payment but would not hold up sending the results. I may or may not have had a small panic attack while I was hearing this message..haha! They said they were almost done with the results and would be faxing them on to Dr. Thomas soon. At this point I was nervous because I knew there was a chance we could get a phone call on our way to Charlottesville saying to turn around we had no embryos (they all had SMA) but I was praying like crazy this wouldn’t be the case! FINALLY at 12:20 (5 minutes after taking the 3 valiums) Dr Thomas called with the results….9 embryos biopsied 1 HAD SMA (was not doing good), 6 were carriers (like James and myself..1 of those wasn’t doing good so we were down to 5 carriers) and 2 were unaffected (1 not doing good and the other was not very good quality)! As much as James and I had wanted more that were unaffected we were so excited to know we had 5 good embryos that were carriers which meant we had embryos to freeze for future babies!!
When we got to the clinic I was immediately taken to the procedure room and got ready. My nurse for this procedure was one I was pretty familiar with (Jan) and she told James that he was going to be able to go back during the transfer which made us both pretty excited. Dr. Williams and Dr. Thomas came in to discuss our options. Dr. Thomas told us that the one embryo that was not affected rated a 3 out of 8 but he would double check it before the procedure started. At this point we were trying to decide whether we should transfer 1 or 2 embryos (I had been told earlier in this process that if we transferred 2 high rating embryos my chances for twins would be over 50%, as much as I did not want twins I also didn't want to transfer 1 embryo and it not stick..so many thing to think about) . Once we got into the procedure room we waited for Dr. Thomas results of the non-affected embryo while Dr. Williams got everything ready. We knew we were transferring the carrier but would we also transfer the non-affected one too? When Dr. Thomas came back in he said the non-affected embryo had not gotten better but had actually “deflated.” He said the embryo might inflate back once it's transferred but it’s hard to tell. At this point I looked at James and said “what do you want to do” and he said lets transfer both (non-affected low scoring embryo and the carrier highest scoring embryo), I said…ok! Then Dr. Thomas went back into the lab and showed us the 2 embryos (aka our two potential babies...see picture below) on a TV monitor and then they were put into a catheter and given to Dr. Williams to transfer (so many emotions seeing our two potential babies on that screen)!
The worst part of the transfer was having a full bladder (and of course the speculum's). James held my hand through the entire process which was very fast and pretty easy. We watched the ultrasound screen as Dr. Williams inserted the catheter into me and “inserted” the two embryos into my uterus. We saw a "bubble" come out of the catheter which came out after the embryos were placed which told me my embryos were there! Dr. Williams said it couldn’t have gone better and they were placed exactly were he wanted them to go! After the procedure I was told to continue the progesterone injections and that I had to lay in bed for 2 days and could only get up to shower, eat and go to the bathroom…lots of TV time! My mom drove me home as this was the night of the last home UVA game and I really wanted James to go (alone time at home because Addy was staying Tracys..woo hoo)! We ended up stopping in Waynesboro at the Target while we waited on Randy, Smokey, Allison and Jo to pick up James (as they were all going to the game) and I had to drive the power wheel chair around the store since i couldn't walk...I can honestly say I wasn't too good at driving that thing and was so embarrassed everytime I had to back up because of that obnoxious beeping..haha! Once the group arrived at Target to pick up James they were all very excited to see our "1st baby(ies) picture," Once I got home I went straight to bed and slept all night...I was VERY tired!!
Let the waiting begin….
The embryo transfer was on 11/11 and I was told NOT to take a pregnancy test but to wait until 11/26 (Monday) to have my first pregnancy blood test done at Physicians to Women. If those results came back good then I would have another one on 11/28 and if that showed increased HCG levels then I would go back to Charlottesville for a 6 week ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy and see how many babies were in there and then I would be turned over to my regular OB, Dr. Curtis! They tell all their patients not to take a home pregnancy test because it takes up to 10 days for the HCG/Trigger shot to leave your body and I could get a false positive if I took one too early.
Our first baby picture :)
Our two embryos! The one of the left (two circles) is the embryo that scored the highest also the carrier. The one on the bottom right is the non-affected one that is deflated. You can definitely see the difference between the two. Dr. Thomas said the carrier (top left) was hatching which is exactly what it's suppose to do!


No comments:
Post a Comment