Thursday, February 7, 2013

IVF part 1

I guess I could say the entire IVF process started a few years ago but only because James and I knew after Addy's diagnosis of SMA we still wanted a bigger family but couldn’t imagine bringing another child into this world with SMA.  Because of our awesome SMA family, we learned we had other options including IVF (in-vitro fertilization). 

Back in April 2011 we met with my local OB, Dr. Dianna Curtis at Physicians to Women to discuss our options and see what our next step was (when we were ready to start IVF).  Needless to say she was very excited to see us (and especially Addy) and to hear we wanted more children in the future!  On a side note I absolutely LOVE Dr. Curtis!  She has always been a huge advocate for SMA and always asks about Addy to my friends and family who also see her.  She always is so excited to see Addy when I go for my yearly appointments (I basically don’t have an option to not take her as if I didn’t I’d get an ear full from her..haha)!  She has a picture of Addy up in one of her exam rooms (the famous supermodel pose when she was a baby) and always educates her patients on SMA when any bring up Addy’s picture.  How great is she??  Anyways back to that April appointment…as you can imagine we had lots of questions and she had lots of answers!!  She told us that she wanted us to see Dr. Chris Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgical Center in Charlottesville and said to keep her posted when we started the process!  

In June 2011 we met with Dr. Williams and knew right away Dr. Curtis had sent us to the right place!  He was fantastic and reassured us of all our fears and anxieties.  He basically told us that, once we were ready to get in contact with one of the IVF nurse coordinator's and then hopefully it would all start.
Dr Curtis and Addy (5 days old)
famous super model pose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment