Tuesday, February 12, 2013

IVF part 6 ~ Egg Retriveal Day

Saturday morning (11/10/12) was egg retrieval day! James and I had stayed the night in Charlottesville the night before because we had to be at my doctor’s office at 8am and because it was the UVA/ Miami game so we didn’t want to get stuck in traffic! 

When we got there we were met by the Nurse who went over the procedure and had me change into a gown.  The procedure room had a smaller room off of it where I was before and after the egg retrieval (this would also be the same room I would be in on embryo transfer day).  The nurse came back after I was ready and placed my I.V.  Dr. Smith was the doctor who was working Saturday so her and the Anesthesiologist came in to go over everything once more.  Then the Anesthesiologist gave me some medicine through my IV, hugs and kisses were exchanged between James and myself and I was pushed into the procedure room.  While my egg retrieval process was being done James had to go to another part of the building to do his part of the job…give his sample! Once I was in the procedure room the anesthesiologist put me on oxygen and I was OUT! The next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room and about 10 minutes later James and I were reunited! We were told after the procedure that 15 eggs were retrieved which was great news and we were praying all of those would be fertilized!!  As soon as I woke up I had to go to the bathroom immediately but the Nurse said I couldn’t get up until I ate a few crackers and had my 2nd round of vitals checked (about 30 minutes). Once this time limit was up James and the Nurse gave me my first dose of progesterone in oil (in the lower hip) and FINALLY I was able to get up and go to the bathroom and get dressed and then we were on our way.  As I mentioned in an early post Saturday was the state cheerleading competition for high school cheerleading and Byrd was there so I was determined I was going to Richmond to watch Allison cheer.  I asked the nurse about this as my only restriction was no driving (due to anesthesia) and she said I would need to check with Dr. Smith who was down in the clinic.  Once we left the procedure area we were met in the hallway by Randy, Christina and Easton!  They had driven up to Charlottesville together because I had already decided I was going to state (whether the Dr. said I could or not..haha) and James was going with Randy to the UVA game.  Dr. Smith said she would prefer for me to go home and rest but didn't say no so I took that as an ok to go and we were on our way to Richmond!  I was very sore at the competition and moved very slow but that’s it.  I bet not to many IVF patients have a departing story like that..haha!

We were told that we would receive a call the following day letting us know how many eggs were fertilized and how they were doing! Beacuse we did PGD (genetic testing) we knew the embryo transfer would be on day 5 so we had a few days of more waiting (embryo transfer set for Thursday 11/15/12)

What Actually Happens During an Egg Retrieval?
An egg retrieval typically takes place under some form of sedation, so you will not feel any pain. A needle is attached to an internal ultrasound probe, which is inserted into the vagina. The doctor uses the ultrasound to see the ovaries and locate the ovarian follicles. The needle punctures each follicle, and a gentle suction is applied to remove the egg and fluid within the follicle. An embryologist then evaluates the fluid and finds the egg. Sperm and eggs are placed together to allow fertilization to occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment