Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 5

I am so sorry I have not updated today!  I feel so bad not letting everyone know what's going on with Addy but the last 24 hours have been draining on James and I!  We truly appreciate all your thoughts and prayers and could not get through all this without them!  I hope you know how much you all mean to us! 

Last night between 6-6:30 James, Addy, Lindsay and I were hanging out in the room.  I went over to Addy's bed to suction her mouth and started getting "stringy" secreations out of her mouth.  James went to go get the Respiratory Therapist and she decided to do a deep suction down Addy's throat. While she started suctioning she started pulling up a decent size muscus plug and decided to go down her nose to see what was down there.  Little did we know what was in store for us!  This ended up being the biggest 'monster" muscus plug and it caused Addy to destat from the lower 90's to 23!  This was definitely the scarest moment for James and I and we felt so helpless because we were standing there watching our little girl go right before our eyes.  Nurse Teresa and RT Ginger saved our babies life yesterday evening and they will be our heros forever!  As soon as they pulled up the MASSIVE plug her stats quickly returned to the upper 80's then on up to the lower 90's.  I have never been so scared in my life and it definitely affected us physical, mentally and emotional!  Addy was very tired after this tramatic episode so they gave her some medicine to calm her and she drifted off to sleep! 

During the night Addy, James and the RT brought up another decent size plug and after that Addy had a little trouble returning her numbers to "normal" so they decided to try a full face mask on her instead of her normal nasal mask.  She did pretty good with the new mask but the RT's today decided they wanted her back on her normal mask so they decided to switch BiPap Machines which has made the world of difference!  Her stats have been much better today!  This morning James and I had a meeting with Addy's PICU Doctor and Nurse to discuss her plan of care.  Addy's nurse today (Mandy) gave her a bath which she REALLY needed!  After not having a bath since Friday night she was getting a little stinky but she felt so much better afterwards!  Mandy and the RT, Tasha gave Addy a "Princess Bed" today which allowed her to sit up some to help with secreations! 

Addy has had a pretty uneventful day full of naping and muscus plug removing!  She has been such a trooper through all of this and reminds me daily how strong and tough she truly is!  She has had numerous NT suctions (small suction tubing going down the nose and throat to remove muscus plugs) which she has never had done before.  She is amazing and I'm so lucky to call her my daughter!  We do not know what is in store for Addy and this hospital stay but I only hope and pray that she recovers and we get to take her home soon.  I miss snuggling with my princess and I hate more then anything that she is having to go through all of this.  I pray that she has a good outcome! 

Today's X-Ray 4/7/2011...MUCH better!

Full Face Mask..she definitely wasn't a fan! 
Princess Bed! 
Mommy and Addy playing in the bed while Auntie Stine plays close by!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to tell you that you guys are being thought of and many prayers are being sent up for your Addy and for you and James.
    I am James's old neighbor---(my Mom Jackie still lives in the circle with Smokey and Tracy)
    Addy is amazingly strong and you are both outstanding parents. I know you guys feel lucky to have her as your daughter--what a strong little girl---and she is doubly as lucky to have you and James for parents.
    Thinking of you and hoping for a quick recovery for Addy.
    Tracie Roseberry Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that it is hard to remember to post updates, good or bad when you are trying to spend so much time with Addy. Thank you. It helps those of us that are praying for her to know how she is doing and to keep your family in the front of our thoughts.
    I wish you nothing but strength and healing power in these very rough waters.

    ReplyDelete