Thursday, August 23, 2012

Baby Easton and his NICU stay

Monday evening August 6 Christina and Dock came over to watch Addy and on the way to our house they had to stop because Christina was having severe back pains.  Once they got to our house the pains were gone and all was good but on our way home (as I was talking to Christina on the phone) the pains started back.  We all thought they were kidney stones and she called the doctor on call for Phy. to Women who suggested she come in to get checked.  When they got to Triage on the labor and delivery floor they soon realized she was in preterm labor, 2 cm dilated and 90% effaced at.......32 weeks 4 days!  NOT GOOD!!  She was admitted and spent the next few days hanging out at Roanoke Memorial Hospital on the L&D floor!  On Thursday (Aug 9) they sent her home on procardia to help stop contractions.  This whole week of craziness definitely through us all for a loop as we weren't expecting Christina to go into pre-term labor and now the worry of her and Easton's health became top priority!!  We were suppose to leave Friday August 10 for Addy's yearly check up appointment in Wisconsin with Dr. Schroth and were planning on going as long as everything stayed goo.  Well...Friday morning around 7:30am I received a call from Christina stating she had believed her water broke!! Thankfully Addy had stayed the night with Tracy so James and I could get a good night sleep before the all day drive so I was able to throw some clothes on and head on the door back up to RMH for the debut of my stubborn little nephew who couldn't have stayed in his momma for a few more weeks!  haha! 

I got to the hospital around 8:30am and meet my mom in the waiting room.  Within 2 hours we had a room full, Allison, Dad, Docks mom Windy and eventually James!  We all were so excited for Easton's arrival but also very nervous about how he would be since he was so early!  By9-9:30 she was already 7.5cm and by 10:30am she was 9.5cm...things were moving FAST! The NICU doctor came down to talk to Christina and Dock about a typical baby born at 33 weeks. He told them the three biggest issues were maintaining body temperature, bowls and respiratory.  Easton James Epperly was born August 10 at 1:00pm weighing in at 5lbs 7.6oz, 18.5 inches long and breathing on his own with NO respiratory problems!! When the NICU doctor saw how well Easton was doing he started laughing, said you guys don't need me and went back up to the NICU. Christina and Dock got to spend a few minutes with him before he was taken up to the NICU.  When we heard how well he was doing all we could do was praise God.  Friday evening James and I went up to the NICU to meet our nephew for the first time!  It was such a special moment for the both of us and something I will never forget!  I was the first to know about him as I was with Christina when she took the pregnancy test and now other then his parents I was the first to meet him.  Can you tell this boy has me wrapped around his finger yet?  haha!  It was love at first sight.  I couldn't get over how well he was doing and how big he was to be so young!  We took a couple pictures of him to show Addy and then headed home.  Addy was such a proud big cousin and loved looking at her new baby cousin. 




first family photo



Sunday Lindsay and I went back up to the NICU so she could meet Easton.  He was still under the warmer lights and doing so good.  At some point in the evening his body temperature started to drop a little so they decided to put him in the incubator.  By 8:00pm they had moved him out of Pod B and into Pod E which was great news (Pod E is the last pod they are in before they are sent home).



Monday Dock wasn't feeling well so I spent the afternoon up at the NICU with Christina.  We had a great afternoon talking and spending time with E.  This was the first time I got to hold him and it was one of the best experiences of my life!  Later I found out I was actually the first person to hold him (other then Stine and Dock) which just melted my heart!  Easton was still in the incubator but doing so well.  They had dropped the incubator temperature some and was moving in the right direction.  They tested his Bilirubin sometime Monday evening but that came back great.

hey ladies!!

our first picture together :) 


Tuesday they started giving Easton a bottle after each nursing to help put a little more weight on him.  He had dropped down to 4lb 15oz but weren't too concerned yet.  He had his circumcision Tuesday and did great.  The doctor's said he barely made a sound!  We knew with the circumcision being done it was only a matter of time before he would be discharged.



Wednesday I went back up to the NICU and spent the morning with Dock and Stine.  To my surprise Easton was out of the incubator!  The doctor's wanted to give him a chance to see what he was going to do and if he could maintain his temp!  By Thursday morning he was back in the incubator still having a little trouble with his body temp but we knew he just needed another day or two in the incubator and he would be fine! Friday Easton's day was pretty typical and nothing too exciting...except for his first bath!
Wednesday




Thursday



Friday

first bath




Saturday we had Christina's baby shower and while she was at the shower Easton had his carseat test.  Basically the NICU makes babies close to discharge sit in their carseat for 2 hours and if they pass great...if not then they have to use a carbed and can't be tested again for another month.  By the time Christina got back up to the hospital Easton had passed his carseat test and the NICU staff was talking about discharge Sunday morning!!!








Got Milk??? 



Easton's Motorcycle!! 

Sunday (Aug 19) Easton finally got to come home!!  That afternoon we took Addy over so she could meet her baby cousin for the first time! Here is a sneak peak but see next post for more pictures!!




1 comment: